This is just gonna be short, but ANet just revealed what new stuff is going to be in the Gamescom demo, and wow. Just wow. Link to full page here.
- Seven professions – Play all seven professions that we’ve revealed so far: engineer, thief, guardian, necromancer, ranger, warrior, and elementalist.
- Charr starter experience – For the first time, you can forge your destiny as a member of the Iron, Ash, or Blood Legion in our charr starter area. You can also choose to play the human and norn starting experience as well.
- Mid level demo – As always, we’ve prepared a higher level demo experience for players who want a challenge. Face powerful Orrian enemies on land, engage them in battle underwater and face off against a new boss.
- Sylvari and asura – Did I mention that you’ll be playing sylvari and asura characters for this high level content? Yes, for the first time, players will be able to get their hands on these unique races – believe me, they are impressive!
- Character appearance customization – Also for the first time, you’ll be able to play around with our character appearance customization feature and control the way your character looks.
- PvP – Last but certainly not least, we’re premiering Guild Wars 2 Player vs Player (PvP) at gamescom! Swing by the ESL booth and head to the Guild Wars 2 area to get your exclusive hands-on PvP experience. Also check out our periodic exhibition matches that pit our valiant team of ArenaNet developers against the European guild BOON Control on the ESL center stage!
So yeah. We’re gonna have all 5 races including the Sylvari redesign (though we already knew about that), we’ll have Asura (new), appearance customization and PvP! Appearance customization can be really cool to see actually since it means we’ll be able to see all the different styles of each race. What is customizable on a Charr? I think we know you can choose fur pattern, color, horn style, etc. Is there anything else weird? And what about those Sylvari? Not only will we be seeing them for practically the first time (after race week), but now we’ll be able to play with every detail. Will there be different skin textures? Like different types of plants? What about hair? We saw the original Sylvari had plant-heads; will that still be the same? How many kinds of plants can go on their heads? What kinds of questions will we get in their biographies?
Also PvP. This will be really intense. I wonder if the demo stations will be longer this year; 45 minutes is pretty short and it would be really hard to get organized in sync. I wonder if PvP will be a separate area where you line up in groups of 5? That could be really cool; then they could just let every group play a match then get back in line. That way everyone could try it as many times as they want without weird time intervals. It’s a shame that there won’t be the Mesmer in this demo… OR WILL THERE?? We’ll see. I know they say 7 professions there, but that doesn’t explicitly preclude the chance of it being revealed there as just another surprise. Either way, I’m curious as to how they will be setting up the PvP at the convention.
EDIT: It was confirmed here that the 8th profession will absolutely not be revealed at either demo. Alas.
Personally I envision it as being a separate part of the demo. It can be set up for 10 at a time (2 groups of 5 starting at the same time) to have 1 PvP match, then get back in line. That way you won’t have to deal with having people de-synced on demo timers, you will get more people a chance to play, and if you go through multiple times you can play with the same people and get some teamwork going. I would love if they decided to broadcast the matches onto a big stage screen or something, that would be really fun for onlookers.
Either way, I’m super excited! Still holding out for the Beta date at GC or PAX!